Subject: Petition for PBS, dont' kill me please!
From: Ho Yin Au <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 14:32:55 -0500

PBS, NPR (National Public Radio), and the arts are facing major
cutbacks in funding.  In spite of the efforts of each station to reduce spending
costs and streamline their services, the government officials believe
that the funding currently going to these programs is too large a portion
of funding for something which is seen as "unworthwhile".  Currently,
taxes from the general public for PBS equal $1.12 per person per year,
and the National Endowment for the Arts equals $.64 a year in total.
A January 1995 CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll indicated that 76% of Americans
wish to keep funding for PBS, third only to national defense and law
enforcement as the most valuable programs for federal funding.

Each year, the Senate and House Appropriations commitees each have 13
subcommitees with jurisdiction over many programs and agencies.  Each
subcommitee passes its own appropriation bill.  The goal each year is to
have each bill signed by the beginning of the fiscal year, which is
October 1.  In the instance of the Corporation of Public Broadcasting,
the bill determines the funding for the next three years. When this
issue comes up in 1996, the funding will be determined for fiscal years
1996-1998.

The only way that our representatives can be aware of the base of support
for PBS and funding for these types of programs is by making our voices
heard.  Please add your name to this list if you believe in what we
stand for.  This list will be forwarded to the President of the United States,
the Vice President of the United States, and Representative Newt
Gingrich, who is the instigator of the action to cut funding to these
worthwhile programs.

If you happen to be the 50th, 100th, 150th, etc. signer of this petition,
please forward a copy to [email-masked]. If that address
is inoperative, please send it to [email-masked].  This
way we can keep track of the lists and organize them.  Forward this to
everyone you know, and help us to keep these programs alive.
Thank you.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
1.)  Elizabeth Weinert, student, University of Northern Colorado,
    Greeley, Colorado.
2.)  Robert M. Penn; San Francisco, CA
3.)  Gregory S. Williamson, San Francisco, CA
4.)  Daniel C. Knightly, Austin, TX
5.)  Andrew H. Knightly, Los Angeles, CA
6.)  Aaron C. Yeater, Somerville, MA
7.)  Tobie M. Cornejo, Washington, DC
8.) John T. Mason, Dalton, MA
9.) Eric W. Fish, Williamstown, MA
10.) Courtney E. Estill, Hamilton College, NY
11.) Vanessa Moore, Northfield, MN
12.) Lynne Raschke, Haverford College, PA
                        (originally Minnesota)
13.) Deborah Bielak, Haverford, PA
14.) Mary Elizabeth Alvarez, Fernandina Beach, FL
15.) Alice Decker, Oak Park, IL
16.) Sarah Smith, Oak Park, IL
17.)Erica Davila, Berwyn, IL
18.) Zachary "Z-Love" Cutler, Hartland,VT and Nyack, NY
19.) Maria D'Amore, Nyack, NY
20.) Clarissa Y. Shen, Williamstown, MA
21.) Formosa C. Chen, Cambridge, MA
22.) Annie E. Hsieh, Syracuse, NY
23.) Fil Tsai, Northwestern, Evanston IL
24.) Saksiri Tanphaichitr, Boston MA
25.) Ho Yin Au, Boston, MA